Thursday, October 06, 2005

I'm gonna say it, "It's Fall!" Yay! It's here! I think everyone likes Fall...sometimes, though it seems like everyone I know loves Summer the most. Not me. I'm an Autumnal person. I was so wishing today on my ride over to the Y that I was going camping tomorrow night. I think I'm just gonna not care how many people go and just schedule the trip and just do it and get out there. My new sleeping pad came in the mail yesterday and I laid it out and layed on in and talked on the phone to my dad. We talked about our next epic road/camping trip. My brother and sister are coming to see me this weekend! I'm excited! When I was talking to my dad, I was reminded of our last trip, a year ago, to move back to the Midwest--my brother to Texas, my dad to Arkansas, and me to MO. Somewhere out in the desert in the bottom part of New Mexico, at somewhere around 3 or 4 in the morning, we stopped the rental truck and my dad's truck at a rest stop to take a nap. My dad slept in the rental truck cab, and my brother and I decided to climb on top of the truck and try to 'bivvy,' if you will, up there. And boy, was it a biv. It was so funny! I had my nice 20 degree bag, and my brother just had his old crappy sleeping bag. I slept on the south side of him, to try and block him from the wind, since my bag was much more windproof than his. We didn't even warm up. We got some bouts here and there of sleep, but most of the time it was just so cold and soooo windy that we were just like, laughing at ourselves, teeth chattering, wondering if we should try and sleep in the Ranger. We finally ended up going back down and sleeping in there. We mainly did it cause we both hate sleeping in a half-way put back car seat. It's so uncomfortable. Same thing in the Nevada desert a couple nights before. I parked the Ranger next to the rental truck, somewhere on the side of the road, and my dad slept in the cab, my brother slept in the Baja bug we were pulling behind us, and I slept between the two vehicles, laid out flat, snug as a bug in a rug. My dad thought it was so crazy that I slept out under the stars, no fear...he took a picture of me and my brother's sleeping arrangements. My brother got fed up with the bug early on cause it got so hot in there. Ah...I love roughing it. Nothing like it to make awesome memories.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HEY! I'm trying to find your contact information! Thats why you dont have a wedding invitation yet. Man I hope you can come still... its the 22nd of this month! I hope its not too late. You and dana both!. ok email me.
thedour@hotmail.com