Saturday, July 12, 2003

Hey guys! I forgot; I read this passage from the book "The Fuel and the Flame Ten Keys to Ignite Your College Campus for Jesus Christ by Steve Shadrach yesterday and it was pivotal for me, and I wanted to share it.

"Pride: We're Always the Last to Know
The marks of pride are usually evident to everyone--except ourselves! It raises its ugly head in the forms of defensiveness, prayerlessness, comparison, and unteachability. We need to ask ourselves this question: Can I follow well? Most Christians are part of the 'Loners for Christ' club and are against leadership unless, of course, they can be the leader! You might say, 'Oh, I really don't need any spiritual leadership over me. I"m being discipled by God.' Really? The reason Jesus was the greatest leader of all time was because He was the greatest follower of all time and 'only did the things He saw and heard from the Father.' If the Son of God felt the need to humble Himself to spiritual authority, how much more should we?
You'll never become a great leader until you learn how to be a great follower, and if you don't have someone discipling you, it's probably because you don't want anyone discipling you! If that's true of you, why don't you stop right now, turn to the Lord, and let HIm search your heart for any pride or independence. Pray about which individual you could go to and ask them to encourage, disciple, and yes, even rebuke you when necessary. Become a humble, teachable disciplee and God will honor you someday with young disciples who will seek you out in the same way. Rarely have I met anyone who was discipling others who hadn't themselves first been discipled.
"

Great passage huh? I put it up there because my life has been transformed by discipleship, by becoming a follower first, by becoming a servant first. By realizing that others have things to teach me about God and myself. If it weren't for the many people who have discipled me, I wouldn't be gung-ho about Jesus, I would just be mediocre. Lukewarm....the yuckiest thing to be, in my opinion. Sooo....go out there and get yourself a mentor or disciple-guy (whatever you wanna call it) okay? We need to be humble, teachable servants for this upcoming year. Pray up! I love you all.

No comments: